After years of legal wrangling, New Orleans began the process of removing four Confederate era monuments. The first to go was the Liberty Place Monument. The monument was erected in 1891 to commemorate the failed uprising by the Crescent City White Leaguers. The post Civil War era battle was marked by the death of 13 members of the integrated Metropolitan police force, six bystanders and 16 White Leaguers. Days later President Ulysses Grant sent federal troops down to New Orleans to regain control of the city.
Despite the presence of the federal troops, the White Leaguers grew in strength post Reconstruction, eventually taking over the city and state governments. Though the monument was initially put up as a tribute to squashing the uprising, an inscription was added in 1932 saying “the Yankees withdrew federal troops and recognized White supremacy in the south after the uprising”. Those words stood until 1993 when they were eventually covered by a slab with a new inscription saying the monument honors Americans on both sides and should teach lessons for the future. READ MORE